The department of History was established in 1947 and this is one of the leading departments of Arts & Humanities in former Govt. College for Women Multan at intermediate and Degree level. It has been offering post graduates classes in History since 2005 and initiated BS (4Year) in 2010.
Now it’s a great honor for us to redesign our department and programs under the shelter of The Women University, Multan with new mission and objectives.
The importance of History is in its capacity to help one to draw conclusions from the past events. It may be said that history is to the human race, what memory is to each man. It sheds the light of the past upon the present, thus helping one to understand oneself, by making one acquainted with other peoples. Also, as one studies the rise and fall of empires and civilizations, the lessons of the past help one to avoid the pitfalls of the present.
It preserves the traditions and cultural values of a nation, and serves as a beacon of light, guiding society in confronting various crises. History is indeed as Allen Nerins puts it, “a bridge connecting the past with the present and pointing the road to the future.”
The History Department seeks to build its students transferable skills, employability and intellectual curiosity, along with raising public awareness about the past and its legacies, through teaching, research and service activities conducted locally, statewide, regionally, nationally and internationally.
The History department prepares students for a wide range of careers by teaching a core set of transferable skills through the study of societies, cultures and economies across a broad chronological and geographical spectrum
The History Department values a skilled, critically aware and informed citizenry: an honest academic and public engagement with the past its meanings, and its consequences for today; and the promotion and support of History and social studies education.
Scope and Objectives
Historical study plays an important part in fostering well-rounded intellectual development as well as instilling valuable career skills in research, writing, argumentation and documentation. The market for teachers in educational institutions remains good in many locations and students with a solid background in history will be well suited to obtain teaching credentials in subjects such as history, social studies, government, political science, humanities, and general studies. The rigorous research and writing requirements asked of history majors also offer excellent preparation for careers in law, journalism, public relations, technical writing, fundraising, administration, government service.
- The study of history helps teachers in training to appreciate the various aspects of their past Historical process so as to link them to the present.
- It enables teachers in training to know what type of education we had and the purpose it served in the past.
- It gives teachers in training the opportunity of knowing our past mistakes in our society and system with the view to making necessary amendments.
- History gives teachers in training the opportunity of studying other people’s ideas and programs with the aim of developing ours.
- It also gives teachers in training a solid foundation to plan for our present and future socio-cultural and political development.
- History guides teachers in training to proffer some positive solution to our present day social, political, economic and administrative problems.
- It helps teachers in training to understand some major trends and developments in our educational system.
- It helps teachers in training to formulate and implement better philosophies of history.
- It is a good academic exercise to improve the teachers and students in training knowledge.
- It widens the scope and knowledge of the students and makes them more comfortable and competent in different fields of life.
- History will help you to understand how the past events shaped the present systems, theories and the related phenomenon of current society.
Thus, a person who has earned a degree in the study of history has a variety of career paths open to them in a number of fields of work. A history graduate is prepared for all sorts of employment positions that involve reading, conducting research, writing summaries of their research findings, and interpreting historical facts. A person who specializes in the study of history has developed these and other research skills that will prove helpful in almost any career endeavor.