The department of Economics was established in the early 70s.It started it’s Master Degree Program in 2005 in Govt. Degree College for Women Multan. In 2013 after the establishment of The Women University Multan, the Department is offering programs of BS Economics (4 years Program), M.Sc. and M.Phil. Department of Economics is strictly following the HEC Standardized syllabus and other terms and conditions for degrees offered in Higher Education Institutions in Pakistan. This department is now crowning its path in important areas of Economic research.
The foremost vision of the department is to augment the quality of education & research in the subject of economics. The department also intends to produce well trained graduates & researchers that can contribute significantly to the economy of Pakistan.
Our mission is to provide a holistic education as such an approach has a twofold benefit. The first is that young people are nurtured to be sensitive, tolerant, humane and capable of thinking in a creative and critical way. The second is, that armed with a sense of history and equipped with knowledge and expertise, the graduates whom we send out into the world are in a better position to develop their leadership potential and make a positive contribution to public life.
The nature and scope of economics are related to the study of wealth or human behavior or of scarce resources. Economics is concerned with human well-being as well as ethical values. The subject of economics has gained a central position in the new international developments like globalization, institutional development, sustained economic growth and emergence of World Trade Organization (WTO). The economic policies of any country help in enhancing human welfare. The economists play a vital role in formulation and implementation of economic policies. Universities play their role to provide excellent training for this purpose. The subject of economics has evolved as the most essential social science.
Scope and Objectives
The objectives of the department are:
- To provide greater access to advanced study in different disciplines for qualified candidates across a wide range of knowledge and expertise
- To provide the essential and fundamental knowledge of economics and skill with training to the graduates
- To suggest the appropriate economic policies to decipher the economic issues through academic and professional research.
- To promote the growth of research activity and graduate faculty/ visiting professors with other educational institutions and faculties of higher education in Pakistan and abroad
- To foster inter-university links and promote partnerships among Pakistani universities as well as international universities
- To further the expansion of research culture and service throughout Pakistan