Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology was established in 2017 in The Women University, Multan (WUM) with intentions to provide a stimulating and diverse teaching and research environment. Degree programs offered by the Department are BS Biochemistry (4-years) and M.Phil. Biochemistry (2 years). The Department is projected to expand the knowledge and insight in science underpinning Biochemistry and Biotechnology principles. In addition, it will help to apply knowledge and skills in addressing problems in the study of Animals, Plants, Microbes, Industrial, Environmental problems, Health sciences and Nanotechnology. The Department has highly qualified and competent faculty having Ph.D. and M.Phil. Degrees and research experience from reputable national and international universities.
Biochemistry forms the core of life sciences; the department intends to play in the dissemination and application of knowledge through teaching and research. It is the aim of the department to promote the development of conducive scholarly environment to enhance intellectual capabilities, to offer graduate and undergraduate programs that are of international standards and to foster research and scholarly activities in Biochemistry and Biotechnology.
Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology will make an effort to excel in undergraduate, graduate and post graduate education by creating a workable environment. Department will make professional relationships with other organizations for the improvement in teaching and research. The focus will be given to research areas that will have a practical application in Industry, Environment, Medical and Agriculture. Our mission is to find the natural ways for the eradication of harmful compounds.
Our mission is also to establish and maintain the leadership in the pursuit and dissemination of knowledge by quality and relevant teaching, and research activities.
Biochemistry and Biotechnology degrees can be applied to many other disciplines and sciences. Therefore, our graduates have career opportunities in areas such as: Medicine, Health Sciences, Drug Research and Development, Cancer and other diseases, Agriculture Research, Animal Population Restoration, Pharmaceutical and Environmental Control and other fields of Biotechnology.
Scope and Objectives
- To integrate the molecular life sciences from the most basic biology-chemistry interface to advanced molecular biology, molecular genetics, bioinformatics and genetic engineering.
- To provide necessary skills and knowledge in applying biochemical and molecular approaches for the solution of problems related to Health, Agriculture, Industry and Environmental Biotechnology.
- To ensure, the students will also have a knowledge and skill as a scientist by providing strong and holistic biosciences training which will be very much relevant to meet the demands of the present day.
- To train the students in such a way that they will be equipped with problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- To equip the students with good communication and interpersonal skills after leaving this Department.